During pregnancy, a woman’s body is rebuilt, because its main goal now is to support the life of the fetus, prepare for childbirth and feeding. This process affects all organs and systems, including the optical. Pregnancy affects the eyes in different ways:
- the physiology of the organ of vision changes, but, as a rule, temporarily;
- eye diseases occur;
- existing pathologies are aggravated;
- general systemic diseases give complications to the eye.
Physiological changes are one of the reasons for blurred vision during pregnancy
Against the background of the restructuring of the hormonal, hemodynamic, metabolic and immune systems of the body, the structure of the eye changes:
- The eyeball is lengthened. This is associated with some visual impairment during pregnancy, which usually recovers after the completion of lactation.
- In expectant mothers, the secretion of the lacrimal gland decreases, which is manifested by signs of dry eye syndrome.
- redness, dryness, burning sensation, foreign body sensation, increased photosensitivity. To relieve discomfort, the ophthalmologist prescribes special drops.
- The sensitivity of the cornea decreases, which is fraught with injuries.
- Conversely, the curvature and thickness of the cornea increase. Together with the change in the lens, this gives blurry vision in glasses and contact lenses, in which the patient felt normal before pregnancy. After lactation, this should go away, so there is no point in doing laser correction or changing glasses while waiting for the baby.
- Intraocular pressure decreases, and this should be taken into account by the doctor if the patient is diagnosed with glaucoma.
Visual defects that occur during pregnancy
Usually, ophthalmic pathologies do not appear on their own, but develop against the background of hypertension, preeclampsia, eclampsia. A woman may complain of visual impairments: blurred vision, blurred vision, photopsia, loss of part of the visual field, double vision, decreased central vision. In most cases, symptoms disappear after childbirth. leads to the restoration of vision.
Various brain tumors, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, multiple sclerosis, diabetes can respond to ophthalmic pathologies in pregnant women. Such women must be observed by an ophthalmologist.
The technologies used in the Clinic for Laser Eye Microsurgery make it possible to correct or stop serious malfunctions of the optical system. Competent and timely help from an ophthalmologist will preserve your vision.