This is a complication or consequence of various diseases of the eyeball, in which there is an increase in intraocular pressure. Secondary glaucoma is a complication or consequence of various diseases and injuries of the eyeball, in which there is an increase in intraocular pressure. The most common forms of secondary glaucoma are:
Inflammatory secondary glaucoma
Occurs after inflammation of the anterior part of the choroid of the eye – the iris, ciliary body, as well as the cornea and sclera. Resulting from inflammations of the adhesions appear between the posterior surface of the iris and the lens capsule, up to a complete circular fusion of the edge of the pupil. As a result, the flow of intraocular fluid from the back chamber of the eye to the front chamber is completely blocked and the intraocular pressure rises sharply. Adhesions can also be formed in the angle of the anterior chamber of the eye, thus blocking the outflow of fluid through the angle of the anterior chamber.
Associated with various changes in the lens, there are several options.
- Facomorphic – rarely occurs with age-related clouding of the lens or cataract, but much more often with injury with damage to the lens. An increase in the lens in volume is observed, due to the influx of a large amount of fluid into the lens through its capsule. In this case, due to the close contact of the iris and the enlarged lens, the flow of intraocular fluid from the back chamber to the front chamber is blocked.
- Fakotopic – it happens with injuries or some diseases, as a result of which there is an increased extensibility of the tissues, due to which some of the fibers on which the lens is suspended inside the eye, the so-called Zinn ligaments, can be torn. After that, the lens freely changes its position when the head and eyes move, irritating the ciliary body and leading to an increase in the formation of intraocular fluid. Also, in case of injury and movement of the lens into the anterior chamber, it is possible to block the flow of fluid from the posterior chamber into the anterior chamber.
- Fakoliticheskaya – with the gradual clouding of the lens and aging of the body in the lens capsule can form microscopic defects through which the very viscous and dense substance of the lens enters the eyeball and, settling in the anterior chamber angle, violates the outflow of intraocular fluid, increasing intraocular pressure.
Occurs as a result of injuries: mechanical injury, burns of the eye, radiation damage, causing disturbances in the system of structures of the anterior chamber angle of the eye. Glaucoma may also develop after a pronounced hemorrhage into the anterior chamber of the eye, that is, hyphema . Increased eye pressure after injury is observed mostly delayed, when scarring, or with the development of metabolic disorders inside the eye.
Observed with the growth of newly formed vessels in the anterior chamber angle. These vessels block the outflow of intraocular fluid, which increases intraocular pressure. At first, newly formed vessels appear along the pupillary edge of the iris and gradually grow to the periphery, toward the anterior chamber angle. The most common cause is uncompensated, severe diabetes, as well as thrombosis of the central retinal vein.
Increased intraocular pressure is a consequence of the germination of the tumor, blocking the outflow of intraocular fluid. In this case, the tumor can be located inside the eye primarily, or grow into the tissue of the eyeball outside. In this case, it is also possible to increase the intraocular pressure after radiation therapy of an eye tumor.
Treatment secondary glaucoma
The main focus in the treatment of secondary glaucoma is to compensate for the condition that caused an increase in intraocular pressure. In this case, glaucoma is also regarded as a complication, and can be compensated in conjunction with treating the underlying disease with eye drops, various groups of drugs that reduce the formation or increase the outflow of intraocular fluid, or undergo surgery, also aimed at reducing the formation or improvement of the outflow of intraocular fluid.
7 facts about glaucoma
We will tell you 7 facts about glaucoma as well you think when in In the near future you will manage to carve out half an hour vision test and eye pressure at the doctor.
- First, glaucoma – reason number 1 irreversible blindness the world
- Secondly, in 2020 on the earth will be 79 million patients with glaucoma
- Third, in USA is officially 1.5 million people with glaucoma Awful that another 1.5 million not know about the diagnosis.
- Fourth, everyone can get sick – men and women
- Fifth, in risk group of persons older than 40 years.
- Sixth, no either diets nor exercise nor folk remedies from glaucoma.
- AND Seventh, glaucoma is indistinguishable , but her can and need to keep under control
Poll showed – the fear of losing sight is stronger than the fear of death. So why do you put yourself at risk? Glaucoma is diagnosed on early stages. Think about parents or loved ones, they are certainly not too long ago checked sight. Write them down on reception to ophthalmologist.
Survey on glaucoma
The arsenal of methods for diagnosing glaucoma is surprising even to ophthalmologists, but the amount of blind from this disease continues to grow steadily. The problem is late patient appeal. Not feeling no symptoms, most people ignore the annual check-ups. As a result – primary treatment occurs when the disease is in III or IV stages, i.e., the person has already irreversibly lost most of his vision.
An experienced doctor makes a diagnosis of the basis of several mandatory techniques, we list them:
- Biomicroscopy – eye inspection slit lamp. Under the microscope, the doctor, looking at his eyes, sees signs characteristic of glaucoma.
- Tonometry – measurement of the level of intraocular pressure. Kinds – contact and contactless. Doctor looks at the degree of deviation of intraocular pressure from norms, the pressure difference between the right and left eye.
- Study of visual fields – mandatory part of the survey glaucoma. Result – the doctor receives accurate data on the breadth of the viewing angle of each eye.
- Gonioscopy – study of the angle structure of the anterior chamber of the eye. AT This place is a drainage zone through which intraocular fluid in normal leaves the eye. If a drainage is visible – it is an open-angle glaucoma, not is visible – closed – angle , partially visible – mixed.
Other survey methods glaucoma complement and clarify the diagnosis.
Modern expensive research allows to suspect glaucoma on early stages when there is still no change in vision. TO him contactless laser scanning methods and computed tomography, which measure the thickness of the nerve fibers of the retina and optic nerve.
Inspection regulations on glaucoma ophthalmologist in clinic – 12 minutes on the patient. Even with a high level of professionalism of the doctor it is impossible to conduct a full examination. Having suspected the diagnosis, the doctors send the pats of ients to full examination at specialized hospitals, where they clarify the diagnosis.
If your rhythm is not allows you to spend time on records in clinic, queues, repeat visits, new queues, then reasonable to ask for examination in private clinic. Modern equipment and comprehensive examination. The doctor confirms or refutes the diagnosis.